Getting ready to P.L.A.A.Y. ..Promoting Lifelong Activity Among Adults and Youth!
The installation of the new Swing Set for Mill Creek Park, Willingboro, New Jersey started today. According to the Willingboro Recreation and Park Department a “swing set” is an important attraction and important “play time equipment” for all playgrounds.
The P.L.A.A.Y. Shaping NJ Grant partners are happy to provide this new swing set for the residents of Willingboro, NJ and the BCCAP Head Start and Early Head Start children and families.
Save the date: The New Mill Creek Swing Ribbon Cutting, Saturday, October 10, 2015, 11AM to 1PM. Join us for the ribbon cutting, healthy refreshments, prizes, a walk in the park and of course…. swing set playtime!
For more information contact: Natalie Mitchem, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Certified Fitness Instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kendall Brunson Recreation Supervisor, Willingboro Recreation and Parks Department at email@example.com
P.L.A.A.Y Shaping NJ Grant Partners: Willingboro Recreation and Parks Department, Burlington County Health Department, Pi Mu Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated, G3 Health & Fitness, Deliliah Winder, Burlington County Community Action Program Head Start and Early Head Start and Dr. Trina Gipson-Jones.
The P.L.A.A.Y. (Promoting Lifelong Activity among Adults and Youth) Shaping NJ Grant is pleased to have the following partners. This blog post is a focus on our partners:
- Burlington County Health Department, Dr. Holly Funkhouser, Public Health Officer and Aditi Bothra, Community Health Educator. The health department plays vital role in the overall health of the community in Burlington County New Jersey. The C.H.I.P. (Community Health Improvement Plan) for Burlington County includes the P.L.A.A.Y grant. This partnership provides direct communication with the community and an avenue to produce positive community health outcomes and to promote a culture of Health.
- Willingboro Recreation & Parks Department, Kendall Brunson, Director and our home town hero. This department is committed to promoting health, wellness and fitness in Willingboro, New Jersey. The JF Kennedy Center located at 429 JF Kennedy Way houses a variety of wellness and fitness activities for the entire family. This partnership provides an opportunity to work and partner with city officials regarding the health and wellness of the community.
- Pi Mu Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. The sorority is dedicated to community service and promoting wellness. The sorority’s 2014-2018 international focus is “Launching New Dimensions of Service℠ which includes 1. Educational Enrichment, 2. Health Promotion, 3. Family Strengthening, 4. Environmental Ownership and 5. Global Impact.” Pi Mu Omega chapter of AKA is active in the community and fulfilling the mission of the sorority. This partnership offers community involvement and a direct local connection with people that live in Burlington County.
- G3 Health & Fitness, Cynthia Carpenter and Victoria Goyins. G3 offers a youth fit club for boys and girls 8 to 12 years old. This program includes fitness, fun and an opportunity to try new foods. The motto is “Get Moving, Get Knowledge, Get Healthy & Strong”. G3 programs are offered at the JF Kennedy Center in Willingboro, New Jersey. This partnership offers a direct connection with youth and families that live and play in Burlington County.
- Chef Delilah Winder and Chef Dante Foggy – Both chefs are Food Network Champions and Winners! The chefs are an asset to our nutrition component of the grant. The chefs help us to reach people of all ages and provide expert food knowledge on how to create delicious healthy food without added sugar, salt or fat. During our cooking demonstrations participants learn how to turn avocados in to chocolate pudding, fresh fruit in to cool smoothies and beans in to a easy to make hummus.
The produce is in! The produce is in!! Willow Brook Farms has announced that the crop has come in and we will be distributing farm fresh produce for our three families. The fresh produce will allow our families to enjoy all the benefits of healthy eating while learning new ways to incorporate the vegetables into their meal planning. We are very excited for this kickoff to the Willow Brook Farms CSA and all the families have been invited to a reception this Saturday at the farm to meet with the farmers and see the inner workings of what it takes to get the produce to their tables.
We are making strides in securing a Fit-Trail outdoor exercise system to be installed at Wheatsworth Park in collaboration with Hardyston Township. This exercise system contains instructional signs and exercise equipment designed for the novice wellness seeker or well conditioned athlete. The exercises, done in a circuit, include a warm up and cool down section, which includes the distance walked or jogged between exercise stations.
We also recently collaborated with the Sussex County Chamber of Commerce volunteering at their Off the Beaten Track 5K trail run and wellness event. This event brought runners over some of the beautiful trails of Sussex County. One goal of the event was to increase awareness of the many trails Sussex County has to offer.